image 0203 904 4520


How much can I expect to earn?

You decide what your hourly rate is. As a personal care assistant (PCA) you will receive 80% of what the customer pays. Typically a PCA working 40 hours a week, can earn circa £20,000 - £24,000

Do I need to be self- employed before I start my first job?

No, you do not need to be self-employed before you start your first job, however you will need to register as self-employed by the end of the tax year in April. Further information can be found here

When Will I get paid?

Once you become a PCA, you will need to create an account on the Carers Direct website. Payment will be made directly into your bank account within 7 days.

If you do have any further questions regarding payments then please email us at

PS. it is very important for you to check in and out of each booking in your schedule by logging into your account in the Carers Direct website.

How Do I Start Working?

Complete your online profile. Once DBS application is complete. Jobs will come to you through the Carers Direct online portal.

How Quickly will I find work?

How quickly you start to receive work will depend on your when your DBS is issued. Your availability, the type of care you are able to provide and where you live.

It is very important that you keep your rota schedule up to date at all times.

How do I contact Carers Direct?

If you have any questions or queries, then please email us at we will respond to your enquiry within 24 hours.

Where will I find my jobs?

Care work will be text / emailed to you. You have full control of the jobs you accept, so we will only ever add in bookings that you have agreed and accepted.

What if I am running late or cannot make my customer’s booking?

You should always ensure that you check exactly where your customer lives before leaving, as it is most important that you are not late for any booking to ensure that you arrive in plenty of time. We understand that sometimes things happen which are beyond your control In these instances, if you are going to be late, please contact the customer or family member directly.

If you cannot make the call due to other issues, a replacement PCA will need to be sorted. In order to find another PCA you will need to access the ‘HELP’ button on the Carers Direct website. It is your responsibility to find another PCA to provide care to your customer.

I am going on away holiday, what do I do?

If you are going away on holiday, or you need to take some time off. This information needs to be updated on your rota well in advance. You should also inform both your customers and the Carers Direct office team with as much notice as possible.

What will happen to my customers when I am away?

Carers Direct office team will need to be notified on any holidays. Once you have informed us that you are going away, we will get in touch with your customers and we will ask them if they would like a replacement PCA.

I am not comfortable going back to my client?

If you are not comfortable with a customer, we need to know first so that we can try and resolve any issues.

Do I need a DBS check and How Long Does It Last?

Yes, an enhanced DBS is required. Re-checks should be carried out every 2 years.

Do I need insurance?

As you are self-employed and independent PCA we require that you have public liability insurance. Here is a list of some providers, or if you wish to find your own provider yourself, please help yourself:-

Mark Bates LTD

Fish Insurance

Blue Badge Mobility Insurance

When Will I get paid?

Once you become a PCA, you will need to create an account on the Carers Direct website. Payment will be made directly into your bank account within 7 days